Paper Smooches and Embossing Paste: How to Add Shimmer to Your Texture

Good evening!  Today I want to share another card featuring the Paper Smooches Spectrum stamp set.  I'm kind of obsessed with this unicorn.  The problem is real.  I just kept picturing her prancing through the clouds all full of whimsy and glitter and I simply had to make this dream a reality.
 

To do that, I started with a piece of watercolor cardstock cut down to A2 size (4.25"x5.5") and grabbed my Distress Inks in Picked Raspberry, Orange Marmalade, and Mustard Seed.  Originally this was going to be a top folding card but after I blended all those gorgeious colors together I just couldn't bring myself to cover up all that pink so I decided the sunset in whimsical Unicornland could go from side to side!  After I covered the whole piece with ink I spritzed some water in my hand and flicked it onto the color.  I let those droplets sit there for a minute or two and then dabbed them off with a paper towel (for more on this technique check out my last video).  The bleach spots that result are so awesome!!  This is a really easy way to add a wow factor to your watercolor backgrounds. 
 


 Once the background was complete I die cut some clouds using the Puffy Cloud Border Dies by Lawn Fawn and ran them through my Big Shot in the Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder for some added texture.  I've kind of been stuck on adding embossed polka dots these days.  I think it really takes a project to the next level.

 

At this point I started thinking that sky needed a little extra something and for some crazy reason I got all kinds of adventurous and busted out my white embossing paste and a Heidi Swap stencil and added some stars.  Now, I never use embossing paste and I rarely use stencils. I love when other people use them but I just never really know how to use them to the best of their ability so I just don't use them!  Well, I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone because I LOVE these stars!!!  To add that extra shimmer I used some Perfect Pearls in Perfect Gold and gently applied it to the wet embossing paste using a brush.  First I tried to mix the Perfect Pearls with the embossing paste but that was a major fail!  It lost all of it's shimmer and just turned a sludgy brown.  Oops!  

  

Finally I colored my unicorn friend using some Copic markers (colors below) and a yellow Stardust Gelly Roll pen for her horn.  I coated her with Wink of Stella (cuz it's a unicorn, duh she needs to sparkle!) and added some Close To My Heart Liquid Glass to her horn.  This product is the CTMH version of Glossy Accents and so far I've had really good luck with it.  I've found it doesn't add quite as much dimension but the shine is really pretty.  My sentiment is heat embossed in gold on some pretty pink cardstock I've had in my scrap bin since the dinosaurs.  Pop that front layer of clouds and that precious little pony up on some Scotch Foam Tape and you've got yourself a card!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  I hope you enjoyed this Paper Smooches fun!  If you haven't had a chance, check out my YouTube channel.  I just started making crafty videos and I'm really jazzed about it!  Have a fabulous evening and I'll see you back here soon!  Bye! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUPPLIES
 

No comments

Post a Comment